Kent and I were getting ready for bed the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving and we were discussing the holiday and our desire to sort of have our own holiday. I love my family and enjoy going to their home, but part of me would really love to try this Thanksgiving thing out. I don't really want to put my hand up a bird's butt, but I have a few recipes that I know would be winners for sure, and I would love to give it a whirl. I love the production of the holidays, the beautiful linens and fancy dancy that is possible. I also have a horrifically expensive set of beautiful china for 12 that needs to see a table sometime in the next year! I am determined, even if it is chicken fingers and fries. While Kent and I were discussing the holidays I brought up what it would be like if it was just the two of us. What if we didn't have family close or family that we weren't "close with?" Kent had no problem mentioning that he would be happy to spend it with just me. It is probably that little insecurity that sits on my shoulder and still questions why in the hell he married me. Not only did he marry me, but he would pick me to be the only person to hang out with on holidays?! Seems too far fetched to me but I do believe every word he said. Then he brought up how it would be fun to take a trip or rent a cabin somewhere. Suddenly I was transformed to a beach or cabin with a cozy fire and my favorite person on the planet next to me.
Back to reality though. We found ourselves in Puyallup, with my family, and the same old same old. Not to be ungrateful, but it is the same recipes, same sort of dry turkey and the constant bickering that comes with being a "Kelley." The bickering tends to be between my sister and I, but at times it is also between my parents, or the dogs, or my grandparents, or my sister and the barking dogs or me against the world. For years I wanted a fancy holiday, but that is just not my family. I wanted to wear beautiful clothes and sit around the table and discuss what we were blessed with. Maybe even go so far to write a small note to each person at the table. Instead we tend to sit and eat and usually complain about the dogs begging and waiting for my Grandpa to possibly say something and scream across the table so my Grandma can actually hear something. When we first arrived there seemed to be a tension in the air, it was thick, and I had no clue what it was about. Tends to be over something so minor, and that is so incredibly annoying. This is my family though, and there is no turning back. This is where I came from and for many years now this is all I know. There is just a small part of me who wants to shake it up, who wants to serve something other than the same damn side dishes. I want to turn the TV off and talk. I don't want the alcohol to run so freely and I want people to really focus on the day. It is not a day to stuff themselves, it is a day to ponder and think about what we have. Just last night Kent and I saw a documentary on the AIDS pandemic in Malawi and I still can't get those images out of my head. Maybe I am the one who is ungrateful? I will ponder some more.
My fabulous little puppy Frank Kelley and I had some serious bonding time so it eased my tension and brought a total smile to my face for the whole week-end. He is just fabulous and funny and my total buddy. My mom and I were up at the crack of dawn the next day buying things that nobody really needs. I couldn't turn down 2 screaming deal handbags. I'm still not losing weight, so a handbag is the best purchase as it always fits! After many hours of shopping I then was tortured to decorate my parents house. For pretty much ever I have been the decorator in my house. Now I am able to share this chore with husband, who really is such a trooper. What other man would be on a ladder to place a billion santa's all over the place? This man won his gold star and more!
Kent and I did pick up a tree for our place and the lights are on, but no ornaments. We have both been so tired, but I will find that energy tonight. I love the light that glows from the living room. It is so cozy that we just sit out there and talk. It is our own little quiet time and one that I am quite grateful for.

0 comments:
Post a Comment